Skip to main content

A Woman in Time - 1

There was no silence after the battle. The storm of blood was over, but the distant boom of shells still rolled like distant thunder over the trampled field. Rifle shots from the receding conflict popped like twigs in a hungry fire, but here there were only dying embers.  Christina coughed as she passed through a drifting cloud of sulfurous smoke.  Her knee-high boots were covered with the slick red mud she had been trudging through for the last hour or so. The beautiful blue coat commissioned for her by Lawrence in Vienna was speckled and torn, one sleeve nearly in half from when she had fought her way through the barbed tangles at the front line. What was left of the front line. She was beginning to grow desperate, the bitter lump of fear trying to lurch up into her throat was becoming harder to force back down. The murmuring groans of the injured and dying weren't helping, and the occasional wail of some unseen soldier threatened to make her lose her poise. She screamed suddenly into the fading light of the day.

"Lawrence! Answer me, Lawrence god damn you!" If she believed, even for a second, that he was truly gone, then she'd sink into the filthy sea of unlucky souls and die here with the rest of them, forever trapped in this historical hell...

-------
AUTHOR'S NOTE: This one's for you babe. I'm going to stop here for tonight so I can let this stuff simmer a bit before moving forward.  I gotta figure out where I'm going to know how to proceed next. I'll be quick about it though, I'm trying not to take it so seriously that I don't actually write it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's verses

I was attempting to use garage band to turn this into an actual song, but I'm not great at making beautiful music come out of a machine just yet. I prefer to tinker with a piano or harmonica, and most of all sing my improvisations. This one has a tune, but it needs some help, so it's not getting posted. Anyhow, I'm going to write the lyrics as they were when I sent it to my love. It's a cold and snowy day Whenever I'm away You keep my body warm Protect me from all harm The wind it blows, it bites It's a dark and lonely night Whenever I'm not with you My darlin' how I miss you How I long to say, "hey babe, I'm on the way" That time is now approaching The sun will be encroaching on the clouds

Front Porch Ramble #4

The dog pouted when told to remain inside, but Jeremy was tired of getting up in the middle of a thought to let the indecisive creature back in.  He needed his thoughts to flow smoothly, and his fingers to be uninterrupted. He was never an excellent typist, although he had once taken a class and fared well enough.  That was all fine and good though.  He didn't need sixty words a minute, he just needed the right words. He had been an avid reader since The Pokey Little Puppy and adored Probe, Scrabble , and any other word game he could find.  He would sneak peeks at his grandpa's crosswords, half-filled with scrunched letters. The nondescript ballpoint pen sat atop the paper like a silent guardian.  Mostly the puzzles were references he didn't understand, but he listened when adults talked to each other and had picked up some trivial knowledge from before his time.  He had never dared sully the clean newsprint squares, but in those times he'd felt empowered.  Even pla

Backstory: Ponyaji "Yaji" Shujaa

E Yaji was born on a boat. Djanni, his mother, could not be stopped from her expeditions. Her mother begged her to stay still and rest, her father forbade her from leaving, and her husband tried to physically stop her. He got a black eye and a lashing of the tongue for his efforts, and still she went. The tiny tempest, the fisher-people of their tribe called her. She was a storm that followed her own course, and any who stood in her path were driftwood in a hurricane. Djinni stormed out of the camp and cast off in her canoe, alone. She knew a place where sweet berries grew, and it was only a few miles upriver. The little woman did not feel alone, for the sky was clear and the winter stars shone above her. Djinni was tired, and her anger had expired. She could always find peace in the constellations that had guided her people for centuries. When the contractions began, she could do nothing but let her canoe drift back towards home as she tried not to tip the vessel in the sudden feirce