Skip to main content

Valentine's verses

I was attempting to use garage band to turn this into an actual song, but I'm not great at making beautiful music come out of a machine just yet. I prefer to tinker with a piano or harmonica, and most of all sing my improvisations. This one has a tune, but it needs some help, so it's not getting posted. Anyhow, I'm going to write the lyrics as they were when I sent it to my love.

It's a cold and snowy day
Whenever I'm away
You keep my body warm
Protect me from all harm
The wind it blows, it bites
It's a dark and lonely night
Whenever I'm not with you
My darlin' how I miss you
How I long to say, "hey babe, I'm on the way"
That time is now approaching
The sun will be encroaching on the clouds


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toothache

Her tooth swelled to cartoonish sizes, pushing others out of the way and sinking a chainsaw deep into her gray matter.  It lengthened, piercing her brain and erupting through the back of her skull. A throbbing pain echoes through her body, riding her nerves like electric death through a power line.  The frayed ends of the heavy electric cord were buried there in the small space between her teeth and deeper, pouring 10 million volts of pain into her very soul.   The tiny evil bone,  unrelenting in its persecution, begins to vibrate. Her molars clatter and they are made of glass. Every click of her jaws sends a fresh scream to her lips.  She digs her long fingernails into her eyeballs, but the distraction is momentary as the earthquake in her mouth comes to a violent head.  Some unseen force ignites the tooth in white hot fire, she can taste her searing gums.  The flames spread, and soon her throat is engulfed and she blisters her lungs with ...

To My Wife's Students

I don't know you, but I've heard things for better or worse, Of who you are and how you do. You're on her mind when you succeed, or when you're blind, and when the world makes you bleed. I wish you the best and she is it. She doesn't wish, she further commits. She has children of her body, you are children of her soul. Never forget that your success is ultimately her goal. She will sometimes challenge, she knows what you can do. Don't do it for her, she'll just defer. She's in it because of you. She might give a push  if you needed it today or quietly ask out of earshot "Is everything okay?" There's a depth in her  that you don't know, but if you listen carefully, you'll hear the echo of all that you might be.

Maple

The tree grew in unlikely soil, more stone than dirt.  In its growth it had cast aside boulders as if throwing off a heavy quilt after a deep sleep.  They lay solidly, looking at once unmovable and like so much litter cast idly to the side.  The rapid expansion towards the sun had left deep splits in the weathered gray bark.  A mans finger would fit to the second knuckle in the deepest furrows, and ants busily traveled up and down the shadowed path.  Overhead, some manner of tiny beast was chittering a rhythm backup to the rustle and low creaks of timber in a breeze.  The main trunk was relatively narrow, just wide enough to hold in embrace were one so inclined.  Two meters off the ground the tree split suddenly in graceful counterpoint.  One division immediately forked again, parting in a stretching yawn. The other frayed as it rose, an untended braid unraveling into the sky.  Thousands of thin dark lines sprouted from the trees arms. A few ...